If you’re joining our sober and single dating site Single and Sober, congratulations! You’ve made the first step towards finding a meaningful, loving relationship with someone who wants to avoid drinking and dating, too.
Whether you’re new to online sober dating or need a refresher on how to successfully interact with other members, check out this code of conduct for sober dating sites. Members of the Single and Sober dating community are expected to abide by this code of conduct.
Want to report something questionable or offensive? Contact us.
1. How to Create a Respectful Sober Dating Profile
How you present yourself online in the sober dating world should be just as courteous as you’d behave in person. You should avoid creating a membership on the Single and Sober dating website if you are not sober and if you are not looking for a serious relationship.
If the Single and Sober dating team suspects you are not sober based on your profile photo or description, you may be removed from the site. Follow these guidelines.
- Username: Single and Sober members are encouraged to use their preferred first name during registration to establish personal rapport. Single and Sober does not tolerate slurs of any kind, including but not limited to gender slurs, racial slurs, sexual orientation slurs or any words considered offensive or inappropriate. Each Single and Sober member is limited to creating one account.
- Photo: Your profile picture should be a clear and accurate representation of yourself. Single and Sober promotes honesty and transparency. Members are discouraged from using old or misleading photos. Members should not display photos that include slurs, such as inoffensive language on a T-shirt or bumper sticker depicted in the photo. Photos depicting pornography, nudity, physical violence or sexual violence are strictly prohibited. Users featuring offensive language or photography on their profile will be removed.
- Description: Create an honest, realistic portrayal of yourself. Again, slurs and offensive language are prohibited. Your description should be in line with how you’d want to present yourself when meeting someone in person. Use respect in all written and photographic descriptions.
Your Single and Sober dating profile is the first impression you make on other members. Show off your personality, but if you exhibit hate or inappropriate behavior, your profile may be removed.
2. Member Interactions
Single and Sober members who have paid memberships may send and receive messages from other members. In order to promote safety and civility, follow these guidelines.
Follow the Golden Rule
- Treat others how you want to be treated, including in the messages you send. Send messages that are meaningful, that make sense and that are relevant.
- Do not spam and send the same message to multiple members. Make every message personal.
- Take pride in every interaction. Be thoughtful in every message you send.
- Follow netiquette. Don’t type in all-caps, which can be seen as shouting. Don’t exclusively use emojis or send messages that aren’t straight forward and easy to understand.
- Don’t use offensive language.
Build Meaningful Relationships
- Be honest about what you’re looking for from a relationship. This will help you judge profiles more realistically and get a better sober dating app or website experience.
- Be respectful of other members’ time. Don’t initiate conversations with members you have no genuine interest in. Only message people you want to get to know better.
- Avoid sarcasm, especially early on. Internet communication can be easily misinterpreted. You can show off your personality while still being clear in your messages.
- Be honest in your conversations. Do not try to pretend to be someone you’re not. Don’t exaggerate your accomplishments or experiences.
- If you no longer have interest in a member you’ve been conversing with, let them know. It’s more respectful to be honest than to lead them on or waste their time.
- If you want to end contact with a user, do so politely so they can move on. If you receive a similar message, respect the member’s decision and do not message them further.
- Keep communication on the Single and Sober dating site until you’ve decided you are serious about the member and want to pursue outside contact.
- Do not share personal identifying information with other users. Do not ask the person you’re communicating with to share theirs early on, such as their personal email, social media page or phone number. Only consider sharing and/or asking for this information after you’ve decided to meet in person.
- Never share messages publicly. Do not post messages anywhere online. Do not share communication with anyone else unless you have received explicit permission to do so.
- Never request or send sexual content, including messages, photos, videos or live cam content.
Before you send any message, carefully consider whether or not you’d be OK with stating the same thing in person. Online interactions, especially on a sober dating site, are not a free-for-all. Approach them with the same consideration you would as if you were talking to someone in real life.
3. Be a Respectful Member of the Single and Sober Dating Community
If you encounter any member who is violating this code of conduct, we ask that you please report the member to the Single and Sober dating team. We are committed to managing a respectful community that prioritizes safety among members. Please contact us if you encounter users:
- Who have offensive or inappropriate usernames
- Who display offensive or inappropriate photos
- Who use offensive or inappropriate messaging
- Who ask you for private information
- Who ask you to send them money
- Who ask you to send them sexually explicit content
- Who are harassing you and contacting you when you have asked them not to
Single and Sober is your safe space to find other sober men and sober women you can pursue loving relationships with. Do your part to be a great member. We hope you enjoy your experience here.
New to Single and Sober? Create your sober dating profile for free.